Monday, June 28, 2010

Of Curtsies and Table Manners.

These recent years.. ever since I came back from New Zealand, Mom has been bringing me to functions here n there... with the idea of exposing me to people for good networking as well as potential mother in laws.. (yikes!) or simply introducing us to the extended members of the royal family.

I think it runs in the family.. because Mom n her sisters went thru the same thing when they were young... though only my aunt had an arranged marriaged, while mom n her younger sister wed to people whom they fell in love with.

The functions, that mom recently brought me to, consists of those that have the royal families as special guests. Requiring upmost good manners, flare and etiquette. Since mom still keeps her Royal traditions, she's been training me to speak the royal language and how to sembah the King and Queen and so forth.

The thing is, I wasn't thought these things since I was young. So it's a bit weird at first.

I remember one particular day, my mom babbling to me n my cousins of not using the 'Palace Language' amongst us. We answered by saying that, if the moms wanted us to use those language, they should have thought us since we were young. Using 'Patik' tu address ourselves, 'santap' - eat, 'beradu'-rest/sleep, etc. etc... now that most of us cousins are of 15 and over.. it's hard for us to learn something new. Though we've tried to in a few gatherings that had our great aunts n uncles.

Nevertheless, we're proud that, even though we are no longer the reigning family to the throne, that we managed to keep some of the Royal traditions in hand, when needed... Hopefully wel'll manage to teach our children some of the tata tertib and manners of the Royal family, so that it can be brought down to generations. May the heritage line of Sultan Abdullah remain strong in our bloods. InsyaAllah.

No comments: